Key Stage 4: Drama
Throughout Key Stage 4, Drama students work on developing and further embedding the skills learnt at Key Stage 3 into their work. Drama at Murray Park School aims to help a generation grow their passion for the theatre, both in performing and technical skills. The curriculum also aims to help students to innovate as the theatre evolves.
Our curriculum aims to be key skill led with written work to accompany it. Throughout the practical work, the students will keep a written log of evidence and notes to aid them in their progress.
Understanding people and their motivations are important skills that students can develop through the study of Drama. In Key Stage 3, the students learnt how to broach character creation from a number of different angles; this is developed further in Key Stage 4 as the students are able to approach their character work for their two main practical units in their own way. The curriculum is student led and is differentiated to match the skills of the students.
Throughout Key Stage 4, the students continue to enhance their emotional and spatial development throughout the units studied.
In KS4 students undertake three main units:
C1 – Written exam
- 40% of the total GCSE
- The written exam is broken up into three sections:
- Section A: Roles and responsibilities in theatre and stage spaces and directions
- Section B: The study of a set text
- Section C: Analysis of a live theatre performance
C2 – Devising
- 40% of the total GCSE
- Group size must be between 2-6 people
- Timing must be between 4 – 20 minutes
How is this section assessed?
- Devising log (60 marks)
- Devised performance (20 marks)
- 80 marks in total
C3 – Texts in Practice
- The students are given the choice of a variety of plays to choose from so that they can find their favourite to perform or act as designer.
The students are encourages to watching online theatre at home such as:
- Hamilton (Disney plus)
- The Play That Goes Wrong (BBC iPlayer)
- The 39 Steps
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeP63YBH9s 39 steps Stratford playhouse scenes 1-3
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HV1L4tdiz4 39 steps Stratford playhouse scenes 4-8
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xLOqoZGo8 39 steps Stratford playhouse scenes 9-14
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6IgFGLjlBk 39 steps Stratford playhouse scenes 15 – 18
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uYzFOePSQ0 39 steps Stratford playhouse scenes 19 – 24
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCxI2GA2D-E – 25 – 27
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hr9_iIL4ks – 28 – 29
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI1Bi8rSbp8 – 30 – 35
The Drama section of BBC Bitesize is a useful resource.
The Drama Club is a popular club at Murray Park School. The students will also have the opportunity to visit the theatre.
Commit to six lessons are provided to Drama students and the Department also provides Booster sessions.